Consolata Hospital Mathari is a level V faith-based health facility owned and managed by the Catholic Archdiocese of Nyeri. The hospital was started as a small dispensary by the Consolata Missionaries from northern Italy in 1938 led by Dr. Paolo Chiono. During the Mau Mau revolt, Dr. Chiono received this message. “We will kill every white man we meet. But not you. Because it is an honor to meet the BEST DOCTOR IN KENYA and the BEST FRIEND AFRICANS HAVE.” The message made it very clear that his efforts were appreciated and that he should not stop working. The missionaries were deported to defecation camps, during the Second World War. They returned in 1943 and under the guidance of Dr. Chiono began major expansions that included the starting of a nursing school in 1956, currently the Consolata Nursing School. The main aim to start the nursing school was to train African nurses. Despite the then prevailing challenges, the missionaries soldiered on. This led to official registration of the hospital in 1962. The Consolata Missionaries continued running and expanding both the hospital and school of nursing until they passed the ownership and management to the Archdiocese of Nyeri in 1987 but continued with the day to day administration up to 1989 when they handed over to the Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary from India. The Catholic Archdiocese of Nyeri assumed full management and administration of the hospital in 1993. Today, the hospital is run by a hospital management board appointed by the Archbishop of Nyeri, Most Rev, Anthony Muheria.